The Princes Channel Wreck model building project

1 03 2009
As part of the syllabus this semester the students of the Maritime Archaeology Program are conducting model building of the remains of the Princes
Channel wreck.

The Port of London Authority discovered the ship in 2003 in the Thames Estuary during dredging operations and Wessex Archaeology carried out the excavation and recovery.

The remains were lifted in 5 separate pieces, which make up one part of the port side, approximately 14m long. The vessel was a carvel built merchant ship and also conveys evidence of ‘furring’, a practice of doubling up all framing timbers – this is the only known archaeological evidence of this shipbuilding technique.

The cargo included folded iron bars, lead and tin ingots and four guns. Dendrochronological investigations have revealed a construction date of soon after 1574 and that the oak used most likely came from eastern England (Auer & Firth, 2007).

More detailed information may be found here.

The model building workshop

In the coming weeks each group working on the individual pieces will write about their experiences and attempt to determine the construction methods
and sequences utilized in the ship’s original creation.